How to get Vietnam visa for U.S. citizens?
Thanks to Vietnamese Government regulation since 26th August 2016, U.S. passport holders can apply for Vietnam tourist visa with the validity up to 1 year. However, the length of stay for every entry is not more than 90 days, which means you will need to leave the country every 3 months even if the validity of your visa lasts 1 year. Short-term visas i.e. 1 month, 3 months are still available for each traveler’s need.
There are 2 ways to get Vietnam tourist visa for American citizens
Option 1: Get Vietnam visa through Vietnam Embassy/Consulate in the United States
You can apply for Vietnam visa by mailing to or visiting in person at Vietnam Embassy in Washing DC, or at one of three Vietnam Consulates in New York, Houston, or San Francisco.
– Issuing unit: Vietnam Embassy
– Processing time: 5-7 working days (not including mailing time)
– A passport required with at least 6 months validity
Total fee: from US$220 (based on the visa type)
Option 2: (Recommended) Get Vietnam visa online (Vietnam visa on arrival)
For those who live far from Vietnam Embassy in the U.S. and do not wish to send out their passport, you can apply for visa online through a travel agent or a tourism company in Vietnam.
– Issuing unit: Vietnam Immigration Department
– Processing time: 1-2 working days
– No passport required
Total fee (service fee + stamping fee): from US$37 (based on the visa type)
This is considered to be the fastest and most hassle-free way to obtain Vietnam tourist visa
How to get Vietnam visa on arrival for U.S. citizens ?
You can submit an online application directly here. After filling out a very simple online form (which is also available for download in Word format) and completing your payment for service fee, you will receive a visa approval letter via email. All you need to do later is to print out the letter and prepare your original passport, 2 passport-sized photos and stamping fee for getting visa stamp at one of four Vietnam’s international airports (Noi Bai, Da Nang, Cam Ranh, Tan San Nhat airport)
Processing time: 2 working days for regular processing & 4-8 working hours for super urgent processing
– Vietnam visa on arrival is ONLY applicable for U.S. passport holders traveling to Vietnam by air. If you wish to travel Vietnam by other means of transport, you are advised to apply for Vietnam visa in person at Vietnam Embassy in the United States.
– Based on our experience as a travel agent over the years, Vietnam visa on arrival is commonly preferred by its short-time processing and cost-saving.
- Less paperwork hassle
- Short time processing
- Competitive price
- Customer-centred approach