How to apply for work permit in Vietnam?
The Department of Labor, Invalid and Society is the only organ who has authority to issue Vietnam work permit for foreigners. A work permit’s validity lasts 36 months (3 years). After it comes to an expiry date, foreign workers need to reapply for a renewal one.
In order to get a work permit, an expat in Vietnam must meet the following requirements:
- Have work contract with a Vietnamese company/organization
University degree, higher degree, professional skills certificate or 5-year experiences working in the same major. The 5-year working experiences might not be applied for some cases such as: Teacher, doctor, engineer etc.
Have no criminal record in their living country, Vietnam or other countries
How to apply for work permit in Vietnam:
Foreigners are required to complete all paper work to apply for work permit and send it to the Labor and Social Welfare Service of the province/city where they are working. Here are list of things they need to prepare:
Work permit application form (following a provided template)
Work permission application letter (following a provided template)
Criminal record issued by the authority of the resident country or the municipal office of Justice in Vietnam (if living in Vietnam for more than 6 months)
A copy of your certificate or degree
Health check from a qualified hospital for at least 6 months validity.
Curriculum vitae with passport photo
3 recently-taken photos ( 3x4cm)
After receiving all of these papers, the Labor and Social Welfare Service of the province/city will inform if they approve your work permit application or any changes needed within 15 days.
Fees: For new applicants: 400,000 VND/permit (around 20 USD)
Foreigners in Vietnam do not need to apply for work permit in one of following cases:
- Working in Vietnam for less than 3 months
- In a company’s board of the corporation that is created under the regulation of the Vietnamese government
- Head of the representative office or branch of international company in Vietnam
- Entering and working in Vietnam to resolve the emergent errors or situation that the Vietnamese labors or current foreign workers in Vietnam cannot solve
- Lawyers that are given permission by the Vietnamese Department of Justice.
Hint for you: To avoid paperwork hassle, the easiest way a foreigner can obtain work permit is through a travel agent in Vietnam. The service charge can be a bit higher than normal
- Less paperwork hassle
- Short time processing
- Competitive price
- Customer-centred approach